Bowling pin shooting?

Discuss target shooting with a pistol and related topics.

Re: Bowling pin shooting?

Postby Fuelburns2 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:08 am

With that kind of pressure the lower will still take a beating, they weren't originally intended for that kind of firepower.

Is a competition to shoot the pins off the table pretty much what I can expect or are there several variations on this theme? Either way it still sounds like great fun.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

HELP ME! I'M BUYING GUNS AND CAN'T STOP!
Fuelburns2
.45 cal

Postby Maser » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:17 am

theres another variation i saw in a cabelas catalog that was a .50 beowolf (lol whatever that is) and it was semi auto but anyways yea i think when u go pin shooting it probly will be a speed thing to see how quick u can knock em down :wink: lol be sure to get a few shots in for me :D
R.I.P. Bubbles
3/1/91-12/8/05
Maser
.38 cal

Postby Fuelburns2 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:21 am

Gladly :) The only problem is that after shooting three times this week I managed to go through almost $300 in ammo and range fees. That doesn't include shooting once or twice last week. :( I need some time to recoup my funds so I can buy more .357 and blast away!

I think in two weeks I can take my Dad and cover everything without hurting too badly.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Fuelburns2
.45 cal

Postby Maser » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:27 am

i think the cheapest ammo for your gun would definatly have to be remanufactured semi wadcutters cuz thats what i stock up on to feed the appetite of my ruger security six

im asuming u want to use full powered magnum loads and not sissy specials right?
R.I.P. Bubbles
3/1/91-12/8/05
Maser
.38 cal

Postby Fuelburns2 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:33 am

I like the "sissy specials" but not nearly as much as the longer stuff. I had six guys come over to my stall yesterday morning to see what was so darn loud! One guy asked if I was the a--hole with the cannon. I got a real kick out of that.

Fuelburns2
.45 cal

Postby Maser » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:42 am

Fuelburns2 wrote:I had six guys come over to my stall yesterday morning to see what was so darn loud! One guy asked if I was the a--hole with the cannon. I got a real kick out of that.

lol that kinda reminds me this 1 time i was at my favorite handgun range and there was this kid about 8 or 9 and he had one of those ruger mark II pistols which i call "thumbprint removers" cuz of the way u gotta load the magazines but anyways this kid was firing away at his target and i had rented a ruger redhawk and set my target up n sent it downrange next to the kids target and he had just took his last shot when i fired all 6 shots in DA mode and my friend who was with me said the kid next to me jumped when i started shooting and im sure he got a kick out of seeing my huge holes appear on my target :twisted:
R.I.P. Bubbles
3/1/91-12/8/05
Maser
.38 cal

Postby Fuelburns2 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:48 am

:D I was against the wall so the sound was also being amplified and deflected across the entire range. Stalls are assigned when you pay so don't blame me!

I know what you mean, my fingers were sore from loading my Mk. II for more than an hour. Good fun though, cheap to shoot too. 8)

I have a hard time believing a .22 could move a bowling pin.

Fuelburns2
.45 cal

Postby Maser » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:58 am

yea and another thing that they used to do at my range was sell those exploding bullseye targets but they stopped selling em cuz they were so loud in an indoor range even with hearing protection on :shock: i never got a chance to try em :cry:

yea i think a .22 could maybe tip over the pin if u hit the top of it but im sure if it could the pin would laugh at u :lol:
R.I.P. Bubbles
3/1/91-12/8/05
Maser
.38 cal

Postby Throckmorton » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:20 pm

the bowling pins our club uses are wood in sided with a TOUGH plastic cover on the out side.Prolly all wood 'in the old days',but all the ones I've seen in the last several years were plastick covered.
TOUGH buggers to beat up when made this way.
Throckmorton
.22 cal

Postby musicmanbass » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:03 pm

Yup, I bought some of the plastic encased bowling pins at the reloading shop not far from my house. One of them has taken about 60 rounds of .40 cal 150gr Nosler JHPs, maybe 200 rounds of .22lr, 5 rounds of 00 buck out of a 12 gauge, and probably 30 rounds of #8 and #6 birdshot from a 12 guage as well... I can't wait to get out and pound it some more this weekend!
musicmanbass
.22 cal

Postby Maser » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:39 pm

the bowling pins i shot at were solid oak or some other hard ass wood that was laquered a buncha times and those sure took a beating until the mighty 12 gauge close range shots came into the picture :twisted:
R.I.P. Bubbles
3/1/91-12/8/05
Maser
.38 cal

Postby Mule » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:48 pm

I shot a pin game that had two red ( terrorist) pins behind a green (hostage) pin. Five sets set up ten pin style. The object was to take the terrorists out and save the hostage. Killing a hostage was a five second penalty.

Way Cool !!!!!!!!!!
Shoot Safe!
Shoot Often!
Mule
.22 cal

Postby Fuelburns2 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:51 pm

That's a really cool variation on pin shooting! I bet that made it much harder.

Fuelburns2
.45 cal

Postby Mule » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:08 pm

:lol:
Some of the guys and girls just shot them all and said
"Let God Sort It Out"
Shoot Safe!
Shoot Often!
Mule
.22 cal

re: Bowling pin shooting?