PistolWorld.com

The Friendliest Pistol Forum on the Internet!

It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low and Left with Consistency
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:53 pm 
.22 cal

I have done research and discovered that a Right handed shooter will consistently put their shots low and left of the point of aim if they flinch.

Are there any other things that would cause me to shoot low/left?

The reason I think it COULD be something else is that I have "great" (for my standards) grouping about 3 inches low and 3 inches left of the center X.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: re: Low and Left with Consistency
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:10 am 
.32 cal

Hello LegalEagle,

Try these out.

http://www.tackdriver.com/pix0703/correction.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files...ightHanded.pdf

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/grp-analysis.pdf

Other than that, maybe your sights are off a bit if you get a Consistant lower left grouping.

As Always, Stay Safe.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:32 pm 
.22 cal

XD,
Thanks for the links. The YouTube video was great and gave me a few things to try and see if it'll help. Until I own a pistol, I can't fiddle with the sights, but I'm going to trust/hope that the weapon is well maintained. When the instructor shot that pistol, he was dead-on, which leads me to believe 1) he doesn't use the sights (he emphasizes instinctual aiming, as opposed to sight pictures for self-defense shooting) 2) the sights are right and its my human error.

According to the Wheel of Misfortune chart, I'm slapping/jerking the trigger, which I don't doubt. However, I'm not sure how to STOP that. Is jerking the same thing as flinching/anticipating?

Thanks again for the suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:12 pm 
.32 cal

Good, i'm Glad the video and other links help.

Here is another video on grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQgLmQl1zDw&NR=1

So if someone else is hitting the mark dead on, then it is not the sights.... unfortunately it is human error.... :wink: so do NOT adjust the sights....LOL

There are a few things you can do. With an EMPTY Magazine, And empty Chamber..."No ammo at all" in the gun, OR around the gun...Sorry, need to say that for safety sake..LOL...
First off, I hope you have found your correct grip, and maybe a stance after watching that video.
Anyway, pointing the weapon in a safe direction, pull the slide back and then release it, as to cock it.
Get your grip then Raise your ARMS up to your eye level, do NOT lower or tilt your head down to the pistol, just simply Raise your arms up level with your eyes....Make sense.... :wink:
Then slowly squeeze the trigger. DO NOT release the trigger. Slowly ease the trigger out JUST until it "clicks" this is the trigger reset, so STOP there, do not release the trigger any farther than that when it resets. Now Slowly squeeze the trigger again. By doing this, you will only get one click of the firing pin, (the "click" sound) so on the second squeeze, there wont be a click... but it will help with trigger control.
Now while still maintaining this grip and the pistol still in a safe direction, pull the slide back again and resume your proper grip, raise your arms up to proper eye level, and squeeze the trigger. Again, slowly release the trigger just until it resets, and squeeze it again.
After you do this for a while, you will eventually get faster at resetting the trigger, and it will all come natural to you.
The main thing here is to Never take your finger off the trigger as some do to get a better grip or feel....
Do these few steps over and over again until you are so tired of doing this... then do it some more.... LOL... in other words, just keep practicing over and over....
Over time, this Will help you with trigger control.
Another thing is Proper stance.
Then breathing control.... but This is another lesson.
Then there is proper sight picture.

LOL... the list goes on and on.....

I hope these things do help you.

As always, Stay Safe.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:38 pm 
.32 cal

LE,
It is very simple....just remember..."slack out"..press. All the while staying focused with your firing side eye on your front sight. LET THE GUN FIRE ITSELF....!!!!!!

Dry Practice this three times a week for about 15 minutes per session and your "wank" will go away. Oh yes ...stay away from those stupid videos...they will only confuse you more. There are not many "self-taught" competent shooters out there.

Good luck...