PistolWorld.com

The Friendliest Pistol Forum on the Internet!

It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My old eyes have a problem with sights
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:16 pm 
.22 cal

Hi - first post to this forum.

I love to shoot, but find myself pulling my glasses out about 1/2" and looking through the bottom of the lens just to get a somewhat clear view of both the pistol sights and the target. I am near sighted, with astigmatism, and wear progressive lenses.

I have heard of having lenses cut especially for shooting for people like me, but all of the optometrists I have talked to seem to look at me like I have two heads when I explain my problem and aren't helpful.

At my age (55) I don't really mind looking sort of goofy with my glasses pulled out and my head tilted up so I can see through the bottom of the lens, but it doesn't really lend itself to comfortable or consistent shooting. When I do occasionally get a good view I do well, but most of the time I'm sort of guessing at how well the sights are aligned.

I would like to try some competitive shooting, but this is holding me back from trying. Has anyone else had this problem, and found a solution?

Thanks for a great site,

Randy

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: re: My old eyes have a problem with sights
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:27 pm 
.22 cal

Bump...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:26 am 
.38 cal

Find a discipline that allows you to use electronic (i.e. red-dot or reflex) sights. Solves a lot of focusing issues.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:46 am 
.22 cal

Hi ghh3rd, you sound like me exxcept I am far sided and only 50 years old. What I told my eye doctor was that I LOVED shooting and wanted 20/20 at arms lenght if possible. He bumped up the prescription on the distance vision enough to make it better not perfect but better. Also, he does not except the insurance that I have but I do not mind having to pay out of pocket as he is really a great doctor. You might need to look for a doctor that is a shooter or really understands what you are looking for. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:55 pm 
.32 cal

I missed this post some how, sorry. I have had this problem for some many years. To begin with, with out glass's on a pistol you focus on the front sight and center mass of the target.
Now you are older with glasses, so you need the bi-tri that lets you use the computer screen to easly focus on. I have tri-focals and its this mid range that I use for pistol shooting at 25 yds. Focus on the front sight and hold center mass on the target. Otherwise get a scope or a red dot for more accurate shooting.
Jim

Post subject: Re: My old eyes have a problem with sights
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:49 am 
.22 cal

Why do you want to focus on the target? Use area aim technique, like the olympians, and focus only on the front sight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:53 pm 
.22 cal

Join the old guys with bad eyes club. I hadn't shot in a lot of years and recently purchased a PX4 in 9mm for target shooting and home defense. I did my initial range time with a law enforcement pistol instructor trading off some fishing tackle for lessons. He likes to fish and I needed some help so it was a win/win.

I'm 60 years young and wear progressive lenses in my glasses. My problem is getting a clear view of the pistol sights more than the target. After my first 500 rounds I was doing OK, but knew I was a better shot than the scores I was shooting. I used to shoot handguns and shotguns years back and was quite proficient. I was at the range alone one evening and after shooting 250 rounds I decided to take my glasses off for the last 50 and the difference was remarkable. Sure, the target was more blurry, but the sights were crystal clear and I shot extremely well. However, shooting without my glasses is not practical, especially if I ever find myself in a real world self defense situation. I sure can't be tossing my glasses off.

I tried my optometrist and was told there wasn't much that could be done, although she did back off on the strength of the close up portion of the progressives. Still, on the range I find myself craning my neck, moving my head around, pushing and pulling the pistol closer or farther away from my face all in a vain effort to get and hold a clear sight picture with my glasses on. It's very frustrating. I am not sure what the answer is, but it might just be a laser sight. I really hate to resort to that. Anyone else have suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:35 am 
.45 cal

I have to use "readers" to see my sights, now. While my proficiency in defensive shooting hasn't changed much, over the years, competition isn't possible. I have found nothing that will help. The next step is to explore surgery or other direct eye treatments.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:38 am 
.22 cal

All the people here, who love to shoot and wear specs, seem to have a problem to adjust their specs to take proper aim!! I didn’t know that there were special specs to help you see better when you shoot!! If there is then it is real cool and will help a lot of people using specs to follow their love for shooting!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:39 pm 
.22 cal

I am in the same boat at age 67. I shot fairly well 45 years ago but no shooting until a month ago. My first 10 shots (indoors with a 22) were bad. Only half found the 8x8" target paper. Then I started concentrating on seeing just the front sight and did much better. I can still make out the dark center area where the bulls eye is but it is badly blurred. But enough shots came close to it so I felt I did okay. A few days later I tried again with a .40SW and did fairly decently. I won't win any contests unless it is against all shooters over 65 - then there's a chance. But that leaves room for improvement. I did find one trick that helps when I start looking at the target. I point the gun initially high over the target (finger off the trigger, of course) and then concentrate on the front sight as I lower the gun down to the target. I stop the gun when the front sight is on the blurry bullseye and squeeze off the shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:06 pm 
.22 cal

man its a crap shoot isnt it? Im 61 and have new tri focals and Im right handed ,with left eye dominate. I've tried a lot of stances ,readers ,both eyes open and the only thing that has helped is to lock in the front sight on the bullseye with the front sight only,the target maybe blurry the front sight is not, shoot then compensate like if you are sighting in drift on new rifle sights.
Ive added a truglo red optic sight on my 1911 and it helps alot. T.A. S. has some interesting sights as well as Jeff at Occluder Sight. Ive also gone to reloading with 200-gn lswc bullets instead of 230-gn, with a slightly lighter powder charge.This has reduced recoil and my follow up shots are much better. Its all a learning experience---are we have fun yet?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:59 pm 
.22 cal

The answer for me lies in my superfocus glasses. They are quickly adjustable from close close to far with the touch of a dial on the frame. I am able to get sharp focus on the front sight and aim center mass on the target.
They work great for me. Go to www.superfocus.com and take a look.
They aren't cheap but are more than worth the price for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:24 am 
.22 cal

My problem is getting a clear view of the pistol sights more than the target. After my first 500 rounds I was doing OK, but knew I was a better shot than the scores I was shooting. I used to shoot handguns and shotguns years back and was quite proficient. I was at the range alone one evening and after shooting 250 rounds I decided to take my glasses off for the last 50 and the difference was remarkable. Sure, the target was more blurry, but the sights were crystal clear and I shot extremely well. However, shooting without my glasses is not practical, especially if I ever find myself in a real world self defense situation. I sure can't be tossing my glasses off.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:55 pm 
.22 cal

that sucks if you really love to shoot. did u get the problem fixed?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:13 am 
.22 cal

recover soon..... u will be ok