Lead bullets on an indoor range.

Discuss target shooting with a pistol and related topics.

Lead bullets on an indoor range.

Postby Beretta96 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:28 pm

I went to an indoor pistol range for the first time yesterday. I was shooting my Beretta 96 40 S&W with handloads 180 gr. lead, Unique Powder. I fired four clips total, using hearing protection. After getting home, I got a headache, which is unusual for me. Do you think "lead vapor" might be involved? The indoor range is new and seems to have good ventilation.
Beretta96
.22 cal

Re: Lead bullets on an indoor range.

Postby Road Rat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:58 pm

Quote: Do you think "lead vapor" might be involved? Unquote

NO
Keep Them In The TEN Ring.
Road Rat
.38 cal

Postby kitsap » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:01 pm

A valid concern but no. Pure lead melts at around 625 degrees while lead with a little antimony in it will melt at around 650 to 675 degrees. The point is that in order to have lead vapor, you have to go a fair amount above the melting temperature. A new range very probably would have a decent ventilation system so I don't think you've any worries there.

What I'm guessing happened is that you were wearing single hearing protection instead of double hearing protection. Remember that unless the indoor range has Sound baffles appropriately designed and installed (not likely) then the sound impact of shooting indoors will be greater. Next time, try double hearing protection (at the shipyard where I work -PSNS - there are operations that require it: foam earplugs with ear muffs on top of that). It will probably make a difference. Try it.
kitsap
.22 cal

Postby drsfmd » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:02 pm

Lead takes a LONG time to build up in the bloodstream. A single outing isn't causing you lead poisoning induced headaches! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lead starts to vaporize at a temperature well over 900 degrees. A melting pot with a thermostat won't get anywhere near that...
drsfmd
.32 cal

Postby Shooting Bloke » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Headaches can be caused by many things - could have been the noise of your shooting echoing around and hitting your head from multiple angles.
Shooting Bloke
.22 cal

Return to Target Shooting