PistolWorld.com

The Friendliest Pistol Forum on the Internet!

It is currently Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Right Handed or Left Handed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:45 pm 
.22 cal

First a little background info.: I grew up shooting shotguns and rifles during the hunting seasons. About seven years ago I started buying a few pistols to have around. About five years ago I started working part time for an armored car service hauling money around. To qualify to carry a pistol was to say the least difficult for me. I failed the shooting test the first time and had to take it a second time. Most of the time when I worked I was the guy with the shotgun. To qualify for the permit I had to shoot right handed and left handed. This was in case one hand was disabled from a gunshot I suppose. The left hand part is what failed me the first time and almost the second. My question is how many pistol shooters practice shooting with their weak hand? Just a thought.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Right Handed or Left Handed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:54 pm 
.32 cal

I'm wrong handed to begin with, but I do practice with both hands, because I shoot a little IDPA competition, and they usally have one set you have to shoot with your off hand.
Scott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:09 pm 
.22 cal

I just recently started shooting pistol. Shot shotguns most of my life and shoot them left handed , eye dominance thing, learned from the begining left handed and it stuck, but now with the pistol, I shoot it better holding it in my right hand. Although this past sunday 450 rounds got my nub hurting. My right index finger is missing the last knuckle due to a lost battle with a table saw 22 years ago. Am still trying to find the right hold and trigger finger. I like the nub as trigger finger because it's real sensitive and I can feel the action really well. IMO it's all about what is comfortable to you.
Tim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:48 pm 
.38 cal

im pretty ambidextrous and also can shoot with either right or left handed cuz some of my friends n familys bolt action rifles r left handed or right handed only so i was forced to learn both but anyways my dominate hand is right

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:53 pm 
.45 cal

I am fairly new to pistol shooting but I definately shoot better with my right hand. I typically use my left to steady the gun but when I only use one hand my right is probably 70% better. I intend to use my left more often just for fun but my primary concern is becoming proficient with what is most comfortable first. Then I'll mix it up a little more.

HELP ME! I'M BUYING GUNS AND CAN'T STOP!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:15 am 

I shoot left handed. I should try off hand and see how I do. Sounds like a good reason to go to the range this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:38 pm 
.38 cal

I shoot right handed but occasionally I like to switch to try and get a different feel and to watch myself get worse :(

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:00 pm 
.45 cal

If you intend a pistl for defense, you MUST practice off-handed shooting. The corners of a house or wall aren't always favorable to your strong side. :wink:

I spend 50% of my ammo shooting off side.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:22 pm 
.45 cal

I have never shot off handed (left). Never even thought about it before now. I will definately add left handed shooting to my range time.

HELP ME! I'M BUYING GUNS AND CAN'T STOP!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:31 pm 
.38 cal

Guys,
If you're gonna be shooting a handgun, be sure to at least practice occassionally off-handed. Ya just never know.
My sister shoots both hands pretty well,but I tell her that she's cheating. She'll hold the gun in her left hand and tilt her head til she's using her right eye on the sights. I've been shooting off handed for quite a while (naturally left handed). I use a 22 for most of my practice.

HWD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:37 pm 
.38 cal

Quote:
If you intend a pistl for defense, you MUST practice off-handed shooting. The corners of a house or wall aren't always favorable to your strong side.

I spend 50% of my ammo shooting off side.

I probably don't practice enough with my weak hand. Hell, I probably don't practice enough, period. But half your shooting practice weak hand because of the corners in a house?

I suggest that you look into the concept of "slicing the pie" with respect to clearing a room (or any blind corner). It goes without saying, of course, that if your family is safely together with you; the smartest thing to do is to maintain a defensive posture and let the police clear the house for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:51 pm 
.45 cal

TMats, corners and walls are just an example. There are a great many scenarios where off hand might be the only hand. At any rate... it's the way I was taught and, hopefully, will be worth the aggravation if the time ever comes. By the way... 50% only applies when I'm practicing defense on an appropriate range. Round bulls or shooting indoors are always strong side and that's the majority of my shooting. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:02 pm 
.38 cal

OK Paul, yo entiendo. Belated Happy New Year to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:39 pm 
.45 cal

And to you! I'm hoping we see the best one, yet!

So... what new toys do you plan on and what did you get? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:43 pm 
.38 cal

Well, I have a pretty modest wish for a new toy (as a matter of fact), I'd like a .22 cal. conversion kit for my Kimber. I wasn't kidding when I said I probably do not practice enough--it's expensive to shoot .45 auto.

I got the Benchmade 940 that I've been craving since I saw one in Guns magazine a couple years ago.

You?