Off the shelf target .45

Discuss target shooting with a pistol and related topics.

re: Off the shelf target .45

Postby darkgael » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:53 pm

The pistol recommendations are right on - either a Springfield or a used Gold Cup. I have both guns and would not part with either. They both shoot better than I can hold. The Gold Cup was accurized some years ago by the late George Madore and will still put ten shoots into the X-ring at 50 yds. (I can't. It will.)
As for ammo try calling NSK Sales (www.nsksales.com) Talk to Neal. He loads high quality target ammo that is tailored for Bullseye shooters. Much of the readily available "target" ammo is still way too warm for Bullseye competition.
Good luck.
Pete
The readiness is all.
NRA Life Member
darkgael
.38 cal

Postby TMats » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:42 pm

drsfmd, I shoot a Kimber TLE and would buy another, if that tells you anything. I'm curious about the ammunition that the club requires though. Your post said "<1000 fps (and lead)." I'm not certain if your requirement is cycle a round with a velocity of <1000 fps and also cycle a lead round of whatever velocity or if the mandate is "lead and <1000?"

If that's the case I'm surprised that an indoor range would specify lead, rather than one of the "green" rounds specifically developed for indoor ranges.

Whatever manufacturer you choose, they will make a recommendation on a recoil spring weight that will cycle most reliably with the ammunition velocity you most commonly shoot. You may find that you will be changing that spring back and forth depending on what you're shooting and where, but hey...it only takes about 30 seconds.

BTW, did you make your purchase?
TMats
.38 cal

Postby drsfmd » Sun May 13, 2007 9:00 pm

Ok... a long overdue update!

Believe it or not, I found a lightly used Les Baer that met all of my criteria! I'll take possession in a few days.

My club ammo requirements are less than 1000fps AND an all lead bullet. As I said before, we have an older backstop - higher speeds and jacketed ammo are rough on the backstop. It's a range that was built for use with .22's... it was never intended for use with centerfire when it was built.
drsfmd
.32 cal

Postby Fourbits » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:46 pm

If youre not hung up on a 1911 here's a great match pistol in your price range. A SigSauer P220 Match SAO. (http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCa ... ductid=158).

It takes a few weeks as they are a special order item from Sig Sauer USA.
Fourbits
Fourbits
.22 cal

Postby Bunnyman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:30 am

Mmmmm...SAO SIGs...

Only problem with 'em is that the safety makes manipulating the slide stop rather tricky. Otherwise, they're SIGs...but with better triggers. What more could you ask for?
Bunnyman
.38 cal

Postby darkgael » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:12 am

The SIG pistol has a well-deserved reputation as a fine combat pistol. As a target pistol, though, if you go to a Bullseye/Conventional pistol match and walk down the shooting line, you won't see a SIG (nor an H&K, Glock, etc. The 1911 rules the roost). Maybe at an IPSC match?
Pete
The readiness is all.
NRA Life Member
darkgael
.38 cal

Postby Topshelf » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:34 am

I picked up my Kimber Gold Match used about 3 years ago for 700
Seems loaded with perks, Never jams and beats all the other 1911 wannabees at our range.
Topshelf
.22 cal

Previous

Return to Target Shooting