davis industries D38

Discussion in 'Pistol ID & Value' started by jhall, Jan 26, 2008.

1. jhall

jhall New Member

hello, my neighbor just sold me a Davis Industries d38 it is a 38 cal. daringer. We shot this little thing and it was more accurate than i thought it would of been. I am just curious of its value, it i new condition with a small leather clip on holster. Thanks, Jason

2. wwb

wwb New Member

Davis Industries was one of several companies that produced cheap die-cast handguns. The barrel and most of the internal workings were steel, but the frame and slide were die-cast zinc alloy.

They are the cheapest firearms ever produced, and sold new for about $75. Used, $50 or so is top dollar. Personally, I wouldn't own one.

3. 1gsplover

1gsplover New Member

Never owned or fired a Davis derringer. But my a$$hole cousin stuck me with a Davis .380 pistol that was cheap beyond belief.
    The Davis arms enjoy pretty much the reputation they deserve.
    (See above post.)
    In your place, I'd dump that thing ASAP.
    ///olde 8) pharte///

4. jhall

jhall New Member

thanks for the response, i didnt know this thing was such a piece of crap, it shot ok i thought, my dad is a cop and i have shot many guns and didnt think it was that bad. I did like that it can be concealed so easily in my pocket and put to use easily if the situation arises...

5. jhall

jhall New Member

so do you guys think this gun is safe to shoot or should i just dump it???

6. wwb

wwb New Member

They are safe to shoot.... they just won't do it very many times before something breaks, and then you toss it in the trash can. To have it repaired by a gunsmith, if he would even consider repairing it, he would charge you more than the gun is worth.

Life is too short to own a crappy firearm.

7. uglydog

uglydog New Member

The metals used in the making of the gun are now worth more than the gun itself, not unlike the penny. Just picking one up, one can tell the amount of "quality" in them. As mentioned, shoot it until it breaks and then dispose of it properly. I would not in any way consider carrying it as protection as the reliability is just too questionable. The best use I heard for them was as a "turn in" gun for gun buy back programs. One could buy them wholesale for $35 and get a $50 check when turned in. I know several who did just that, with a 5 gun max per turn in point per day and 10 places to do so, that was $1500 per weekend for these people. Nice part time job for the 10 weeks the program ran.

8. WDBradley

WDBradley New Member

I agree with uglydog, sell it at a gun buy back! I had one of these for a short time, more chance to shoot off your own finger with this gun than hit your target or have it blow up in your hand. I gave mine away (couldn't take money for it), I shot it once and knew nothing good could happen with this pistol.