Novice Shooter ISO Pistol Recommendation

Discussion in 'Target Shooting' started by PistolPete, Nov 5, 2008.

1. PistolPete

PistolPete New Member

I've been hunting off & on for about 30 years. Recently, I've developed an interest in shooting for sport. I'm ISO a good pistol for beginner target shooting. Any recommendations?

2. wwb

wwb New Member

.22 Rimfire? The most bang for the buck is a Ruger Mark II Target.... either a 5-1/2" bull barrel or a 6-1/2" tapered heavy target barrel. Add a Volquartsen sear, hammer, and trigger (about $100) and you have a VERY competitive pistol. The Mark II is out of production, so you need to hit the gun shows. The currently produced Mark III is a "lawyerized" version of the Mark II, and seems to be less popular.

Centerfire? I'm a 1911 fan... Kimber, Springfield Armory competition models, or an old Colt Gold Cup. If it ain't a 1911, I must plead ignorance. I've shot a bunch (Beretta, Glock, Ruger, Springfield XD....) but never warmed up to any of 'em.

3. jim n iowa

jim n iowa New Member

I would have to agree The Ruger MK2 target is one of the best 22 auto's made. I have the 5.5" bull target model. I also have a MK1 tapered barrel target that is a great shooter. a 22 that I happen to like better is a revolver by S&W. It is a 617, 6", 10 shot, ss, target model. More $$, but for me a way to go back to the basic revolver shooting at targets.
    Jim

4. pondshus2

pondshus2 New Member

Try the Glock 17 Gen 4 pistol. It is one among the best in the world. It is a semi automatic safe action fire arm. Or you can go for the Springfield XD. It is actually ranked 8th in the world. Well if you want the best then go for CZ 75 SP 01. I would recommend the Glock since you want it for practicing.