S&W model 41 vs Ruger mk2 goverment

Discussion in 'Target Shooting' started by volunteerfirearms, May 23, 2010.

1. volunteerfirearms

volunteerfirearms New Member

Considering purchasing a used Smith model 41 22lr with 7" barrel to target shoot and plink with. I have been using a Ruger Mark II government with a 6" barrel for years and have been generally happy. I have been told the Smith is a more accurate gun. Any thoughts?

2. wwb

wwb New Member

Unless you are a one-in-a-million pistolero, either one is capable of greater accuracy than you can deliver. Shot from a machine rest, the Smith may have a slight edge..... but it's not guaranteed.

It would be a crime against humanity to use a Smith 41 as a "plinker" however. Should you opt to go with the Smith, shoot the dickens out of it - that won't hurt it..... but NEVER put it in a holster or put it away uncleaned. The value of a Smith 41 will steadily increase as long as it is cared for.

For the price of a Smith 41, you could get 2 Rugers.... a target model for paper punching and a standard for knocking about and plinking.

3. volunteerfirearms

Thank you for the advise. I do like my Ruger...probably will stay with it. The Smith 41 is a very good looking piece and not everybody has one.

4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 New Member

Absolutely love my 41. I've had it for many years and I believe when I purchased it, it was available in 5" and 7 3/8" barrels only (not exactly sure, it's been a long time). I got the 7 3/8" barrel and it is far more accurate that I am. Amazing how the prices have gone up!

5. Paul F.

Paul F. New Member

They are both fine weapons and while I generally agree about S&W guns, this is an exception. As stated above, they are equals to the high percentage of shooters... until you reach the point where you are being scored with a micrometer. :wink:

6. volunteerfirearms

I did purchase the Smith 41 but I have not shot it. Actually a friend has it and says it is extremely accurate and very sweet to shoot.