Virginia Dragoon 44 magnum Interarms

Discussion in 'Pistol ID & Value' started by wpage, Mar 14, 2009.

1. wpage

wpage New Member

Interested in the current value 3-14-09 of the Interarms Virginia Dragoon 44 Mag Stainless Steel six shooter. French safety single action...

Thanks!

2. wpage

wpage New Member

Add to that 6" barrell length!

Regards,

3. dogngun

dogngun New Member

Depending on condition $225-$350. They were pretty sturdy revolvers and had a lot of fans. Many used them for hunting.
    I think parts may still be available from Numrich -
    www.gunpartscorp.com

Forgive my ignorance - but what is French safety?

mark

4. TDC

TDC New Member

There are currently two Interarms Virginian Dragoons for sale on GunBroker for $400. They are both used case hardened frame models with blued cylinders and barrels. The stainless models tend to bring more money, especially the 10 1/2" silhouette model that is rare.

The safety referred to is called a "Swiss Safe" design. It provides an additional notch in the cylinder shaft that allow it to be pushed through the frame and lock in place to prevent the hammer from hitting the firing pin.

I have very few different guns in my large S&W collection. A 7 1/2" Stainless Virginian Dragoon 44mag is one of them. It is one of the most underrated single action handguns of all time IMHO. Those who own them today or have owned them in the past rave about the fit, finish and overall quality of this gun.

Writers for magazines like Guns & Ammo and Shooting Times raved about them during the production years of the late 60's and early 70's. They actually have a stronger frame than the Ruger Super Blackhawk and they are at least the equal of that gun in every category. Do a search on the net and it will confirm my statement. If you have a chance at one that's reasonably priced buy it. If it has Pachmayr grips on it I'll trade you a set of original wood grips for them.

TC

5. davisernie69

davisernie69 New Member

I have a set of pachmayr grips I would be interested in trading for wood ones I like the feel of wood better.

6. johny3329

johny3329 New Member

I have an older model Browning High Power that has a safety plunger in the rear of the trigger assembly that keeps it from firing unless the clip is in the gun. This little device causes a very squashy trigger pull. I have shot another HP that had this device removed and the quality of the trigger pull was much better.

Is anyone experienced with removing this little safety plunger device? I am mechanically inclined and have the tools to perform this work, but I am apprehensive about just striking out with trial and error on this task.

Can anyone here give me a few instructions or give me contact info for someone that could provide such instruction?

7. Road Rat

Road Rat Member

johny3329

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, I cannot figure out why you posted a question about a Browning High Power in an old thread about a Dragoon!!

Please do a cut and paste of your question into the section down below in the forum titled BROWNING. That should get you some response. You surely won't get any here.

Later

8. pondshus2

pondshus2 New Member

It is a highly handy gun. And I am trying master it now. It has been with me for quite some time, but I haven’t been able to practice its ranges yet. I will let you know about the pistol as soon as I have uncovered its mystery.

-----------------------
    BARNEY TIM

9. chal3oye

chal3oye New Member

It provides an additional notch in the cylinder shaft that allow it to be pushed through the frame and lock in place to prevent the hammer from hitting the firing pin.

I have very few different guns in my large S&W collection. A 7 1/2" Stainless Virginian Dragoon 44mag is one of them. It is one of the most underrated single action handguns of all time IMHO. Those who own them today or have owned them in the past rave about the fit, finish and overall quality of this gun.